When is a ‘Business’ required to be registered in Hong Kong?
‘Businesses’ are required to be registered when the activities include:
- Any form of activities carried out for the purpose of gain e.g. trade, commerce, craftsmanship, profession etc.
- Any club with facilities, services and exclusive club premises to its members.
- Every company incorporated in Hong Kong or non-HK company that has established a place of business in Hong Kong, regardless of whether it is actually carrying out any business in Hong Kong.
- Every non-Hong Kong company that has a representative or liaison office in Hong Kong, or has let out its property situated in HK, regardless of whether it has established a place of business in Hong Kong.
- every limited partnership fund registered under the Limited Partnership Fund Ordinance, regardless of whether it is actually carrying on any business in Hong Kong.
Note: A person who is only holding an office or employment is not regarded as carrying out any business and is not required to apply for business registration.